Tuesday, February 14, 2012

To see what He sees...

I've read over and re-wrote this post several times. Nothing I wrote ever seemed right. I've searched and prayed and contemplated why this could be and have come up empty handed. The fact is, explaining what you see does this place no justice. All of the most eloquent words in the world could not accurately describe the feelings you feel as you walk through Phaeton. I've felt pain, hopelessness, adoration, gratefulness, confusion, hope...and the list goes on.

Within my first hour in Phaeton, I had this uneasy feeling. Praying, I asked, "God, how can I accurately depict what you are doing here? I don't even know what I am feeling, how can I explain that to others?" I usually hear some type of response in my head, be it the holy spirit or my own ponderings but after a while of silence I simply said, "Ok, then, can you just help me see this place how you see it? Can you help my camera capture how your heart feels for this place?" Without Him even having to respond, the uneasy feeling I had before simply disappeared and I had a zest for capturing my surroundings like I hadn't had in months. Sometimes God speaks so audibly, giving me clear direction and instruction. That day in Phaeton, He didn't need to say anything...He just gave me a little nod as He allowed me to see a place He loves through His eyes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

To read my Haiti experience last year, click here.

3 comments:

Cathy McIlvoy said...

Love this post! So glad I was able to share this trip with you. You captured it well...and always. Love u.

Jill DeJonge said...

Oh Goody - You captured not just Phaeton so well, but Haiti as a whole. Especially your pictures of the people and children. The picture of the little girl wearing a red shirt with the candy cane heart on it made me cry right on the spot - and you will never guess why. In front of her is a "Haitian chair." They are probably the most uncomfortable chairs in the world, I know because I spent about six weeks sitting in one of them! That picture reminded me of my own Haitian experience, taking care of a two week old baby, Claudia. I sat in a chair that looked just like that - holding her, singing to her, feeding her...and it was in that chair that she captured my heart. It was in that chair the God gave me a passion I didn't know I had. It was in that chair that God taught me a lesson in deep love and told me that what I knew of love was only a piece of what he felt about me. I laughed in that chair and I cried in that chair and my life was changed in that chair.

I know this sounds so crazy but so often throughout Scripture God tells us to "remember." To remember the things he has done - to remember he is faithful, to remember his love. And your pictures have caused me to remember.

Thank you.

Stan Parkes said...

God willing our group will once again be given the opportunity to see the people of Phaeton through his eyes. I found the Haitians to be both gracious and loving. After my first trip there in 2011 I found myself being haunted by their faces yet yearning to return.
God bless you....