Sunday, February 05, 2012

Polishing Character

Girls Group 2 -Week 4

I'm not gonna lie. Week four is my favorite week. And not just because we get to paint our nails.

If there is one thing that I have learned since becoming a missionary (and I use that term loosely because I truly believe God calls us to be missionaries whether we live outside of our native country or not) is serving. I am going to be completely honest with you. Before I moved here, I had one genuine opportunity where I served and that was on a missions trip to Africa. Other than that it was either forced because I had to do community service for National Honor Society or because I needed "humanitarian" hours for a class. I was NOT a servant. Nor did I have a servant's heart. And even now, living on the mission field, with a special title like "missionary" that rings of servanthood and sacrifice...it's still a struggle sometimes.

There are things that Jesus did and aspects of His character that are absolutely mind-blowing to me. Because these things He did for the people, the way He treated them, how He cared for them; it was natural. He didn't have to try and care about them; He just did. He didn't have to trudge through another healing; He just did it. He didn't roll His eyes every time God asked Him to speak to the crowds or dine with prostitutes or hold a leper; He just did it. Serving was interwoven into the very core of His being.

I know its in me too. Unfortunately, years of selfishness and pride have made it a bit rusty. But every time I see these girls, every time they hug me, every time they flash a shy smile at me when I tell them how much I love them...I see how serving them can become natural.

When we read the story of Jesus washing His disciples feet it hit me all over again just what kind of God I serve. I want these girls to know it too. I want them to know just how big He really is. That He's bigger than crappy parents, abandonment and sexual abuse. He's bigger than all of it. And I'd like to believe that if Jesus were walking among us today, He'd love nothing more than to paint these little girls' toenails too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
a dear friend donated several funky nail polish colors and supplies for this class...and the girls went crazy over them!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: