Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I want to be a Barbarian...

Yay! We already have people blogging us!!! Teresa, I am so glad you told me to do this. Anyway, 76 days and counting. I imagine I won't be nearly this good at updating daily down the road, but I will definitely try.

Satan has definitely been attacking us lately, well, me more specifically. Yesterday was one of those days where absolutely NOTHING went right. At work, I had this ongoing e-mail argument with someone almost the whole day. Then we had a meeting set up to meet with one of my old professors. I tried to print out an updated newsletter for him, our printer stopped working. We tried to burn our DVD, someone in the library deleted EVERYTHING. So now we are back to square one with the DVD...for the third time. UGH!!! This is just one of those times. Something that has been so amazing is I am reading this book called The Barbarian Way by Erwin Raphael McManus that my friend Will suggested I read. I can tell you right now that it is going to be a life-changer in the way I think. When all those things were happening yesterday, I just assumed that God would take care of it because I was doing it for Him. But the more I prayed for God to "rescue" me, the more I realized how skewed my idea of Him really is. In the book, it explains how civilized Christians have become in their way of thinking. We believe that God will rescue, comfort, take care of and always do what we want. That's just not the case. God has a bigger plan than a newsletter or DVD and just because I wanted those things to work out, doesn't mean that magically God is going to do it. He's not a genie in a bottle. When I started to remember what the book was teaching me, I felt more at peace with the idea that what God was doing is much bigger than the presentation I was going to make. What a freeing thought.

Long story, short...the meeting went great. There are a plethera of opportunities that can and probably will come because of that meeting, even though I didn't have my fancy DVD to show him. I hope that some day down the road, I will truly become a Barbarian for Christ.

Til later,
Goody

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On today's post: I think this is a concept that more modern Christians need to embrace. We are not meant to stagnate or atrophy relying on God's strength in our daily tasks. We’ve been given minds, strength and hearts of our own; we are meant to use them. It sounds like you are already putting it to action. Kudos you Barbarian!

On the blog in general: What a great idea. I'm thankful that I'll get to hear about all your adventures first hand. Keep it up!