Thursday, November 15, 2007

Madre a Madre



I am BEYOND excited about the group of ladies in this photo. Several of them are women I cook with up in the kitchen and several of them are women I have met through other staff members and their relationship with them. God had given me a vision of starting a group just for moms. Since being a mother is such a huge part of the Dominican culture I thought that it might be a huge opportunity to involve more women than just with a women's bible study which is already up and running through our church in Hoya del Caimito.

My vision was to get a core group of women that would meet once a week to talk about mom things (husbands, time management, cooking, cleaning, personal spiritual life, health and beauty, etc.). Not necessarily a bible study, although we base our topics on things that can be supported biblically. I wanted it eventually to be a community outreach. Involve women that don't currently attend church but would like the opportunity to learn from "seasoned" mothers. I wanted to talk to Cherry (another staff member) who is the mother of four and also is fluent in Spanish. God knew what he was doing.

Little did I know, Cherry had a key role in a group called "Mom to Mom" when she lived in the States. She knew how to run a group like this and would be able to support the vision that God gave me. We began planning and had our first mom's meeting on November 2nd. We met again November 9th and Cherry and I's dream came true. Two of the ladies brought a family member who is not a Christian, but a mother, and was really interested in being in the group. We weren't prepared for a group this size, in fact we thought 5 was the magic number, but God had other plans. So here they are, the first Mom to Mom (or Madre a Madre) group. I can't wait to get back in January to get started up again!

No comments: