Monday, April 02, 2007

Who would have thought!

This is just a quick update on some of the things that I (Mike) have been doing lately around the D.R.

This past Saturday we finished up a basketball tournament here in the neighborhood. It was a tournament in the name of a friend of Will who passed away from his home church, St. Johns United Methodist. The tournament consisted of three local churches and a team made up of guys that are always playing at the basketball court. The past three weekends have been full of March Madness Dominican style! The church we attend, (Cuerpo de Cristo) came out on top over Iglesia Asemblea de Dios. It was a great three weekends and great time of sharing with the community.

Last week I was able to make a more regular appearance at soccer practice with the Haitians. It was so much fun being out there again after about a month off. We have had a lot of rain the past two weeks so the field was pretty sloppy but it was still great to be out there again. Even though I don't understand them because they speak Kreyol, a high-five means the same thing in both languages after a goal.

Now, the reason for the title of this entry. The last two weeks I have been sharing in the Bible study with our construction crew. Every morning before work they get together to get into the Word. I have been able to not only participate with them but have been asked to lead three of them already. For those of you that know me it might be a shock to hear that I would be LEADING a Bible study. When the IWU soccer team was a here a couple of weeks ago they couldn't stop talking about the fact that they NEVER really heard me share much around them. They came down and I was all of a sudden leading their team. Well, God has been working greatly in me here in the D.R. He has allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and always guides me in His work. Continue to pray for God's guidance in our lives especially the more He uses me and the new ways He will use me.

No comments: