Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fresh Coat of Paint

I am going to balance my last post of no photos with a post with A LOT of photos!!!

Last week we painted Carmen's house.  Carmen is a friend who's husband was murdered almost a month ago in The Hole.  While chatting over coffee one day she mentioned that every time she walks by or sits down on her front porch the memory of Lepido's death flashes in her mind.  She felt like she had to live it over and over again.

I am naturally a fixer.  I am naturally a creative thinker and if there is one thing I have learned in my life it's that a fresh coat of paint is a good way to start new.

I am not suggesting that painting Carmen's house would take it all away and life would go on normally and roses would bud around every corner.  But there is something to be said about beautiful change.  About recognizing grief, finding a way to help you cope and looking toward what your "new normal" can be. And even though paint doesn't bring a husband back, the look on a wife's face when her home has a little facelift sure makes me think we could change a whole lot of yuck in this world with a simple can of paint.

Photobucket
Pastor Rafael did A LOT of painting...couldn't have completed it without him...
Photobucket
    
Photobucket
Photobucket
This porch is where Lepido was murdered...I was on a mission, this was the space I wanted to change the most...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Carmen painted all of the details like the window and door frames
Photobucket
Even Carmen's mom, Emilia, joined in the action!
Photobucket
And Carmen's granddaughter, Isileidy, too!
Photobucket
And my little buddy, Alexander!  Remember his older brother Wilson?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

2 comments:

Dee Paulino said...

Good job! It was very thoughtful of you to do this for the lady. Acts of kindness like this one sure make people smile. Being from the Dominican Republic myself, it breaks my heart seeing the condition many people live in and the social injustice. The social system is beyond flawed.

I hope you get to visit the nicer areas in the country before you go, the Dom Rep is truly a beautiful country.

Mike and Amanda said...

Magdalena-Thank you for your words. I have visited many of the nicer places in the Dominican Republic, but my heart is in places like Hoyo de Bartola. Places like that are beautiful too, in their own way.