Friday, October 05, 2007

True Worship

Well I have been trying all week to put this post up. I have some video clips to go along with it but I can't seem to get them to work yet. This past Sunday I went to church a couple of minutes down the road. It is the church that Romano started for the Haitians in the area. As we were leaving for church we noticed a Haitian man just standing on the corner by our house so we invited him to church with us. Just as we asked another Haitian man walked around the corner. His name is Ousma. He heard us ask about church and jumped right into the truck with us. The first guy decided he didn't want to go this time. We found out later that Ousma had gone to the church on our street and the doors were closed because church service was in the evening this week. He did not know so he assumed there wasn't a service. When he heard there was an opportunity to visit another church he was very excited!! After church we brought him back and went and to get some lunch to share with him. He was so grateful! Two days later I saw him in the corner store, I had Landon in my arms and he asked if Landon was my son. I told him yes and then he pulled out his wallet and showed me some pictures of his kids. A man that we happened to run into one day was now sharing about his whole family. Such a small event has made for such an exciting week and a new friend!

Something else that happened on Sunday was the worship service. As I sat and listened to everyone singing I was broken. I could not understand the words, there were no instruments, the leader just had to sing the first line of the song for everyone to join in singing. None of those things mattered. It was time to worship God so that's what everone did. I was broken because I looked around and everyone was praising God, and then I thought about how many times during worship I couldn't stand the singing, or I wished there were more instruments than a piano and organ. I completely lost sight of what was supposed to be going on. Something so simple I had made complicated. I saw the simple act of worship right in front of me and I was broken. I wanted back all of the times I lost the opportunity to just worship Him. The beautiful singing in that service opened my eyes and I thank God for that moment and I pray I don't ever lose an opportunity to praise Him again!

1 comment:

Lisa's Lamppost said...

Mike you are really stepping up and becoming a great leader. Whenever I see Romano he always mentions that things that you are doing for him. Keep it up!